New week. New delights. It’s hard to believe that the first month of 2023 is already gone.
- I’ve been listening to the pop culture podcast Extra Hot Great from its inception. They end every episode with Game Time in which they play some sort of tv related trivia game. They encourage listeners to create games for them to play. I’ve done it a couple of times. I had another one show up in last week’s episode. It was actually part of a listener game time tournament rather than a regular episode of the podcast. My game called “Change That Tune” was the championship round. It involved guessing the name of tv shows that changed theme songs at some point during their run by hearing a clip of their less well known theme song. I actually submitted a longer version in which there was also a section where you guessed tv shows that used the same song but changed the style every season like The Wire that they did not use. Maybe it will show up at a later date. It had been so long since I submitted it that I was totally able to play along because I didn’t remember the answers either.
- As I’ve previously mentioned I was doing a number of jobs that weren’t mine for awhile. Last week there were some issues at work that totally would have been my problem to deal with had I still been doing two of those jobs. It made me so happy to be like this is not my problem. I’m so glad I don’t have to deal with it.
- My social life is still in this weird limbo. There’s just relationships that have fallen off after 3 years of not tending to them, and since I still won’t do indoor things that I can’t do while wearing a mask I get left out of stuff. It sucks to see your friends doing stuff without you on social media. Since I’ve at least gotten to the point where I’m willing to risk being in pretty much any indoor setting as long as I can keep masking the whole time, I have tried to make a goal of figuring out at least one thing to do every weekend so I’m not just sitting at home by myself. Ideally it would be doing stuff with other people, but that hasn’t always been possible. So at a minimum I need to do something out of the house even if it’s something like go to a museum by myself or the ice festival with just my husband like I’ve done previous weekends in January. Friday night a friend I hadn’t seen in awhile came over and hung out. She works weekends, so it’s often hard to coordinate schedules. Then Saturday I decided to go check out this new puzzling group someone started in my neighborhood back in December where people hang out and put together jigsaw puzzles. I don’t really spend much time doing jigsaw puzzles on my own, but I do enjoy them as sort of a social event. So I had decided when I got a chance I would check this out as I can totally puzzle in a mask even if I was the only one, which I was. I almost chickened out and decided not go this time. I don’t like having to talk to people I don’t know or going into situations I’ve never been in before. This checked all those boxes as I didn’t know anyone else who was going to be there, and I had definitely never been in the American Legion where they were meeting. It would have been easy to not go. I was comfy in my pjs still. It was gloomy outside. I’d already fulfilled my social obligation for the weekend. But I managed to make myself go, and I had a good time. We put together a puzzle I brought that was a custom made puzzle my sister-in-law gave me that had my house at the center and then was a map of Baltimore surrounding it. They meet twice a month, and I will definitely go back though I’m not sure I’ll go every time. I do still need to figure out something to do this coming weekend if anyone has any ideas.
And now for your musical delights
- I got my tickets to the Newport Folk Festival. Hopefully nobody gets sick this year and we can stay for the whole festival.
- The War on Drugs was on this week’s episode of Austin City Limits. I just really love their music. Every time I listen to it I’m like I love this song soooo much, and then the next one comes on and I think the same thing over and over again.
- I heard the song “Never” by Heart this week. It’s such a good song. Their best one in my opinion. Being an 80s child I’m partial to their 80s music though I’m sure some people consider that blasphemy. It was one of the songs that made my original Spotify playlist of songs I love.
- I’ve heard the song “Maneater” by Hall & Oates an odd number of times of this week. I have no idea why I heard it so much. I’m not complaining though because it’s a song I really like. It’s the first Hall & Oates song I ever remember being aware of in my life. I have a weird memory of hearing it in the Atlanta airport while my dad got a shoe shine. Shoe shines! Can you even imagine anymore? Does anyone ever do that aside from people in the military?
- And finally the song that everyone else is talking about this week as well, Linda Rondstadt’s “Long, Long Time” which was featured in a wonderful episode of “The Last of Us” this week. It’s a song I haven’t heard in eons, but it is indeed a great song and now it has this lovely episode attached to it to give it even more meaning.